Occupational Therapist/Driver Rehab Specialist
- Job Ref:
- Rehabilitation Service/Therapy
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Health Care Partner:
- The University of Vermont Medical Center
- 790 College Pkwy, Colchester, VT
- Job Type:
- Primary Shift:
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Hours per Week:
- Weekend Needs:
- Pay Rate:
- $41.19 - $61.78 per hour
Driver Rehabilitation Specialist:
Driver Rehabilitation at the University of Vermont Medical Center is comprised of a small team of multi-talented occupational therapists who are Vermont Driving School Instructors and Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialists.
Driver Rehabilitation Specialists provide thorough evaluations and appropriate treatments for people with conditions that may affect their ability to drive safely. They offer specialized driving programs for clients who are new or potential drivers (students), clients who have low vision, senior drivers, and drivers who required adaptive equipment. These services are provided in our clinic as well as in our two adaptable driver training vehicles.
The Occupational Therapist/Driver Rehabilitation Specialist
- Provides direct patient care including evaluations, consultations, and treatment programs based on functional limitations and patient needs.
- Designs, implements, and modifies therapeutic interventions that may include, but are not limited to, therapeutic exercise, behind the wheel training, adaptive equipment prescription training and education and other patient-related education (related to driving and community mobility skills).
- Educates patients on topics including current diagnosis and implications for driving.
- Communicates regularly with a variety of healthcare professionals, including physicians, and case managers and other regulatory entities including the DMV to ensure successful patient treatment outcomes and carry through of driving recommendations.
- Responsible for the ongoing development of clinic skills through continuing education programs, professional contacts, journal articles, and participating in professional organizations
- Participates in clinical staff education, meetings and quality improvement projects that support current best practice.
- Perform daily documentation in accordance with UVMMC standards. Documentation is completed in a timely manner consistent with all laws and regulatory requirements.
- Manages caseload effectively and uses excellent time management, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Maintains complete and accurate billing practices. Assists front desk in maintaining insurance authorizations.
- Protects patients’ rights by maintaining confidentiality of personal and financial information
- Maintains CDRS status by meeting the continuing education requirements as outlined by ADED and by keeping membership up to date
- Maintains Vermont state Driver Instructor Certification status by meeting the continuing education requirements and renewal fees
Bachelors of Science (or higher) degree from an Accredited Occupational Therapy program. Licensed or eligible to be licensed to practice occupational or physical therapy in the state of Vermont.
Preferred: Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialist (CDRS) and Vermont Driving School Instructor License preferred, but not required. If not currently certified/licensed, must be completed within 2 years of hire.
Minimum of 5 years of experience is ideal.